Friday, September 4, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

Ahh, another long weekend. As it seems with every long weekend, I'm stuck here in town, but this time I'm going to try to hit some places that I don't get to enough or that I've been meaning to for some time. The Metro repairs that will shutter three stops on the yellow and blue lines have thrown a wrench in my plans to head out to Old Town and Pentagon City, so I'm going to have to stick to things in the District.

My plans:

Lincoln's Cottage. Abraham Lincoln's country house is located near the Soldier's Home in D.C. It recently underwent a $15 million restoration by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and I've heard that it's lovely.

Georgetown Cupcake. Their September flavors are caramel apple cupcakes served Wednesday through Saturday and cinnamon served Sunday and Tuesday. I want to try both, of course, so I might head there Saturday afternoon and browse the used book stores in the area (as if I don't have a towering stack of unread books already). I just never get to Georgetown as often as I'd like.

• Kayaking on the Potomac. Monday will be spent kayaking to Roosevelt Island and picnicking.

Other things going on this weekend:

Old Ebbitt Grill is hosting a block party on Saturday on G Street, NW between 14th and 15th Streets. From 6-11 p.m. there will be jumbo lump crab cake sandwiches, beef brisket, shrimp cocktail, bratwurst, white lemonade, blue margaritas and strawberry daiquiris. Tickets are $75 through Sept. 4 and $85 the day of the event. Go to www.ebbittblockparty.com for tickets and more info.

Junction, a vintage store owned by my lovely former roommate, is holding a Labor Day sale and fall preview, Saturday through Monday. If you buy one item, you get 25 percent off the second item.

No comments: