Thursday, April 3, 2008

Brunch at Marvin

I went to Marvin for brunch on Sunday after hearing a lot of good things about it. Despite being a really cool space, the restaurant lost points on its lackluster food. I had the biscuits and gravy with a side of grits; the former was way too salty and the latter was too sweet. The coffee was served in a French press and was by far the highlight, and it's not a good sign when the coffee is better than the food.

The grits were made with honey and had blueberries, but my taste preferences generally lie with savory and not sweet foods, so it may be a better dish for someone else. But it was entirely too milky to pass off as not my taste. The biscuits and gravy were even less enjoyable: the salt level was unacceptable, and the dish looked messy on the plate. I'm willing to admit that soul food isn't my favorite, but I think Marvin could try harder, especially given what a popular destination it seems to be of late for community events.

No comments: