Monday, May 12, 2008

Georgetown Cupcake

Someone asked me the other day the best place to get cupcakes in the city. Having finally visited Georgetown Cupcake on Saturday, I can now say that this place is tops. Unsurprisingly, I went overboard and got five cupcakes — after all, being a food writer is my job. And besides I love cupcakes, and am featuring them at my Pimm's and Cupcakes party this coming weekend for my birthday. Plus the girl behind me got a dozen. "I don't know when I'm going to be back, you know, and they're just so good," she told me. Next time I may take a page from her book, because these cupcakes are fantastic.

Flavors I tried:

Lemon Berry (lemon cupcake with a lemon raspberry frosting)
Chocolate Hazelnut (valrhona chocolate cupcake with ganache icing, topped with crunchy hazelnuts)
Vanilla (classic madagascar bourbon vanilla cupcake with a vanilla frosting)
Chocolate Coconut (valrhona chocolate cupcake with a vanilla cream cheese frosting, topped with coconut)
Red Velvet (classic red velvet cupcake with vanilla cream cheese frosting)

My favorite was the red velvet (I absolutely love cream cheese frosting, and make a really mean one myself), but every cupcake melted in my mouth. Thank goodness this place isn't remotely convenient for me to get to, or else I would be facing serious weight gain.

Not every flavor is available every day, but next time I'm hoping the Honey Yogurt (light honey yogurt cupcake with a citrus glaze) will be out.

The shop is teeny, but precious, with one table inside. The line stretched down the block, so if you go, plan to get there early (sometimes they sell out entirely) and be prepared to wait.

Store photo by Flickr user M.V. Jantzen

Cupcake photo by Flickr user
spakattacks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes sound delicious! They're beautiful just to look at!