Thursday, July 26, 2007

The State of D.C. Bookstores

In my failed attempt to locate a planner (which I just broke down and ordered off Staples.com), I have visited a number of D.C. bookstores lately.

• Barnes and Noble is my favorite of the large chains — a. they are generally well-organized, b. I have a members reward card, and c. they serve Starbucks. It's a win-win-win situation. (Stores visited this week: 12th & E Sts., NW, and Bethesda)

• Borders comes in second for chains, but their staff is positively useless. Case in point: I asked an employee if they had any more of a certain planner in the back, and he called someone to ask, and said that the only person who would know "by heart" just left, and could I wait until tomorrow? No. (Store visited: 18th & L Sts., NW)

• Books-A-Million is severely lacking. Tonight was my first visit, and all they get points for is an amusing worker. There were peanut shells on the floor, and displays were messy, and (I swear I am not making this up), the bookstore sells trading cards and slinkies. Really? In a bookstore? (Store visited: Dupont Circle)

None of these places had acceptable planners, so I also swung by the Dupont Circle establishment Kramerbooks, which, being a very good bookstore, does not sell planners or other gift type items.

No comments: