Sunday, February 5, 2006

Favorite Restaurants

People always ask me where to take friends and family members when they come to town. While I can usually tailor recommendations based on neighborhood/cuisine/price, there are a few go-to places that never fail.

Favorites:

Bar Pilar
I can't get enough of this place — I love the cocktails, how it doesn't get crowded during the week, and how I've liked everything I've eaten here. My go-to is the chicken liver pate served with perfect grilled bread, and also delicious are the roasted olives with pickled chilies and goat cheese bruschetta.

• Any of Jose Andres' restaurants
They're fun, the food is always good, and they're perfect for sharing dishes with groups. My top two are Jaleo and Zaytinya, but only because Mexican is not my favorite cuisine.

Skewers
The hummus is perfect and while I always say I'll diversify, I always get the angel hair pancake. Equally wonderful baba ganoush and pita bread.

Taqueria Distrito Federal
A few blocks from my house and perfect for meeting friends before Red Derby or getting takeout. I love the costilla puerco (baby pork ribs) tacos and a horchata to drink. I still haven't been for breakfast, but that's something that needs to change soon.

• Heritage India
Yes, Rasika is wonderful, but Heritage India has always done more for me. The saag paneer is smooth and rich, the chicken tikka is wonderful, and start with a few street snacks as appetizers.

• Sushi Taro
I haven't seen the remodeling yet, but Taro is where I consistently get the best sushi. Also notable are the yakitori and gyoza.

No comments: